Location: Sacramento, Los Angeles, or Bay Area, CA preferred
Reports to: CSJ Executive Director
Start Date: ASAP – position open until filled
Position type: Full time, exempt
Founded in 2012, Californians for Safety and Justice (CSJ), a project of the Tides Center, is a statewide advocacy organization that aims to reduce incarceration and advance more effective approaches to public safety in California. We work to expand the use of alternatives to incarceration, including community corrections, drug treatment, mental health treatment, community service, workforce development, healing programs for victims of crime and other evidence-based practices. We do this through a combination of sophisticated insider/outsider advocacy strategies, including communications, coalition-building, research, policy, sub-grants and capacity-building, and crime survivor constituency building. Central to our work is the recognition that survivors deserve a justice system that prioritizes healing, prevention and recovery – and too often these are unmet.
CSJ’s sister organization, Alliance for Safety and Justice (ASJ), also a project of Tides Center, has been leading national advocacy efforts to replace over-incarceration with new safety priorities in large incarceration states across the country for the last three years. With a substantial California staff and a strong track record, CSJ operates as ASJ’s flagship state advocacy effort. Additionally, Alliance for Safety and Justice Action Fund, a project of Tides Advocacy, is the 501 (c)4 arm of both ASJ and CSJ. Combined, ASJ and CSJ operate with over 65 staff.
The CA Networks Manager will work with strategic advisors from diverse backgrounds to build our work in the State of California by coordinating state-wide coalitions. This position will help to drive critical work forward around organizing for safety projects, that will support the launch of our public education campaigns, a steering community, and regional coalitions to promote key shared safety initiatives that replace wasteful prison spending with new safety solutions. The CA Networks Manager will report directly to the CSJ Executive Director, and will partner closely with the Memberships & Organizing Director, CA Government Affairs Director, Local Safety Solutions Project Director as well as other key staff and contractors.
The CA Networks Manager will responsible for spending 100% of their time managing and supporting CSJ programs, coalitions, and partnerships, to include:
The successful candidate will be a visionary, exceptional collaborator, and mission-driven. Her/his/their work will be driven by strategic thinking, integrity, and purpose. S/he/they will have an unwavering passion for and commitment to social justice and civil rights. Specific skills and experience include:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years of professional work experience, including within the field of criminal justice, public safety, or public policy
- 3+ years of campaign experience to include, but not limited to, ballot campaigns, electoral campaigns, and advocacy campaigns
- 3+ years in community organizing and project management
- Experience working in a nonprofit and/or campaign setting
- Well organized and strong attention to detail
- Able to complete tasks efficiently in a fast-paced environment
- Flexible and able to work cooperatively under pressure
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Experience managing high-level partnerships and relationships with allied organizations in a way that demonstrates sophistication, respect and capacity to identify and execute a mutually shared vision and goals
- Experience providing support, training, and assistance to diverse constituencies such as faith-based groups, crime survivors, service providers, labor associations, business leaders and others in advancing coherent advocacy and issue educating agenda
- Demonstrated commitment to training and building the capacity of crime survivor groups to win campaigns and sustain those reforms
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial – enjoys creating and implementing new endeavors
- Experience working effectively in a fast-paced environment when staff are not in the same location
Must be able to sit at a computer or stand for extended periods of time, dexterity to operate a keyboard, ability to speak clearly and use a telephone. Frequent state-based travel is required.
Sacramento, Los Angeles, or Bay Area, CA preferred. This position is permitted to remote telecommute and/or may work in a downtown office environment with open seating areas and individual offices. The office includes standard work desks, furniture, and fluorescent lighting. There is an elevator in the building. Work hours, dependent on deadlines, may include night or weekend assignments.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary will be commensurate with experience. The Tides Center offers a competitive benefits package, including health insurance, retirement, and annual leave.
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with a reference to the job title, “CA Networks Manager” in the subject line. Please send:
- A cover letter indicating your match to the stated job requirements
- Your resume
- Writing sample, including a sample project plan
- 3-4 professional references
Californians for Safety and Justice, a project of Tides Center, is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, medical condition (cancer-related) or conditions Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions (ARC). Reasonable accommodations will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.