Location: Bay Area, California preferred.
Reports to: Chief Communications Officer (CCO)
Start Date: ASAP – position open until filled
Position type: Full time
Founded in 2016, Alliance for Safety and Justice (ASJ), a project of the Tides Center, is
a multi-state organization that aims to win new safety priorities in large incarceration
states across the country. At a time of immense opportunity, ASJ partners with leaders
and advocates to advance state criminal justice reform through policy advocacy,
coalition building, research, education, and strategic communications. ASJ also brings
together diverse crime survivors to advance policies that help communities most harmed
by crime and violence. ASJ’s sister organization, Californians for Safety and Justice
(CSJ), also a project of Tides Center, has been leading state advocacy efforts to replace
over-incarceration in California with new safety priorities for the last five years. With a
substantial California staff and a strong track record, CSJ operates as ASJ’s flagship
state advocacy effort.
Digital Director Position Summary
The Alliance for Safety and Justice (ASJ) is seeking a creative and experienced digital
communications professional with a proven track record of directing effective digital
media campaigns and managing a team. The Digital Director will be an integral part of a
high-impact team with the opportunity to build and lead all aspects of digital
communications for a growing national initiative and its lead state-based organization,
Californians for Safety and Justice (CSJ).
The Digital Director will lead the organization’s digital team in the development and
management of its campaigns, efforts and strategies. This is the first position of its kind
for the organization. It is critical to expanding the organization’s digital capacities and
improving coordination and strategies across programs.
The ideal candidate will be a sharp digital strategist with a record of success, an adept
communicator, an experienced manager of people, and a creative problem solver.
Reporting to the CCO, the Digital Director will:
- Oversee, lead and coordinate the ASJ and CSJ digital communications team.
- Direct the development and execution of creative, sophisticated and high-impact
digital communications strategies across multiple states and nationally that
advance ASJ/CSJ’s overall communications goals, helping our campaigns win by
educating the public, shifting narratives on issues of criminal justice and safety,
and building popular support for reform.
- Work closely with ASJ and CSJ leaders to develop integrated digital
communications for complex justice reform policy strategies, research
publications, and organizing strategies with survivors of crime.
- Ensure digital communications raises the organizations’ profiles, including the
development and dissemination of content that elevates our work (programmatic,
campaign and legislative) and is on message and effective.
- Establish aggressive short and long-term digital goals, leading the digital team to
consistently achieve them.
- Ensure production of weekly and monthly performance and progress reports tied
to digital goals.
- Advance the use of established best practices in digital media, including in terms
of metrics, testing, data analysis, list health management, audience
listening/monitoring, and online fundraising.
- Develop and execute plans to ensure that the professionally-developed
multimedia content created for the organization is maximized in digital
- Direct and ensure the expansion of ASJ and CSJ’s ongoing efforts to build online
communities and constituencies through digital media.
- Effectively manage and structure the digital team to be as effective as possible,
as well as select contractors as appropriate.
- Oversee staff development on the digital team, fostering innovation and
leadership in team members.
- Ensure staff throughout the organization have familiarity with current digital
media platforms and their relevance for effective communications, organizing,
- Work with the Chief Communications Officer and other communications staff on
overall communications planning, message development, and communications
- As the organization grows, develop and execute a strategy to build synergetic
relationships with digital communications leaders and teams from partner and
The successful candidate will be adaptable, flexible, and collaborative. Their work will be
driven by strategic thinking and executed with rigor and efficiency. They will have a
keen eye for detail, patience, and a commitment to criminal justice reform. Specific skills
and experience include:
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least 7 years of experience in public affairs or strategic communications,
preferably in a political or issue advocacy campaign setting.
- 3 to 5 years of hands-on digital media leadership experience, with a strong track
record of helping to lead effective digital communications campaigns.
- Significant experience leading a team – managing and supervising staff,
delegating assignments, communicating expectations and feedback clearly, and
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal skills.
- Proficiency in digital strategy, programs and tools, including social media
platforms, acquisition and mobilization campaigns, CRM, digital media analytics,
platforms and trends.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, with an ability to write and know clear,
compelling and succinct content that effectively frames messages for different
- Ability to understand complex policy and political issues and develop clear,
concise, and persuasive messages related to them.
- A keen eye for aesthetics, details, and professional design; ability to facilitate
creation of final design products.
- Impeccable attention to detail and analytical thinking.
- Highly organized and deadline-driven to help keep a team on track to advance
multiple assignments at once in a fast-paced environment; strong project
- Proven ability to build strong relationships with internal and external
- Experience working with diverse communities and a deep commitment to social
and racial justice.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively and listen and learn from
- Ability to thrive in a busy, multi-tasking, and time-pressured environment.
- Reports to the ASJ CCO and works in close coordination with the communication
and program teams.
- High degree of familiarity with core areas of focus for the organization: criminal
justice, public safety, and/or community/public health.
- Prior experience managing or working closely with contractors or consultants to
advance digital communications campaigns.
Must be able to sit at a computer for extended periods of time. Some travel may
Bay Area, CA, Oakland, CA, or remote telecommute. Downtown office
environment with open seating areas and individual offices. Standard work desks
and furniture, fluorescent lighting. There is an elevator in the building. Located
close to a train station. Work hours, dependent on deadlines, may sometimes
include occasional night or weekend assignments.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with experience. The Tides Center offers a competitive
benefits package including health insurance, retirement, and annual leave.