Location: Oakland, California, Bay Area, or New York City area preferred
Reports to: Digital Director
Start Date: ASAP – position open until filled
Position type: Full time
Founded in 2016, Alliance for Safety and Justice (ASJ), a project of the Tides Center, is a multi-state organization that aims to win new safety priorities in large incarceration states across the country. At a time of immense opportunity, ASJ partners with leaders and advocates to advance state criminal justice reform through policy advocacy, coalition building, research, education, and strategic communications. ASJ also brings together diverse crime survivors to advance policies that help communities most harmed by crime and violence. ASJ’s sister organization, Californians for Safety and Justice (CSJ), also a project of Tides Center, has been leading state advocacy efforts to replace over-incarceration in California with new safety priorities for the last six years. With a substantial California staff and a strong track record, CSJ operates as ASJ’s flagship state advocacy effort. Additionally, Alliance for Safety and Justice Action Fund, a project of Tides Advocacy, is the 501 (c)4 arm of both ASJ and CSJ.
ASJ is hiring a full-time Digital Manager to support the organization’s national digital strategy to advance new narratives on crime, safety and justice, and engage in strategic advocacy for policy changes in states. The Digital Manager will lead the growth and mobilization of organized constituencies to amplify new voices in the public dialogue. They will provide strategic direction for the organization’s social media presence and assist in the distribution of high-impact digital content (e.g., videos, memes, infographics, etc.) online. The Digital Manager will work closely with a collaborative, high-impact team in a start-up organizational culture, reporting to the Digital Director.
ASJ seeks a creative, innovative, experienced digital professional with big ideas and a proven track record of building and empowering communities online, successfully sharing messages through a range of digital channels, engaging new supporters and deepening organizational reach online. The Digital Manager will join a fast-paced team of policy and program staff and consultants working to reform state criminal justice policy and transform the national dialogue on crime and incarceration. The Digital Manager will focus on implementing the digital strategy for the Alliance for Safety and Justice and supporting its numerous campaigns, including Crime Survivors for Safety and Justice, a national network of crime victims.
- Support ASJ’s online community-building and digital advocacy efforts, particularly as it relates to the Crime Survivors for Safety and Justice (CSSJ) network
- Support the Data & Web Manager as needed to acquire new users and attract them to our website(s)
- Organize and amplify the voices of crime survivors in state and national criminal justice debates using digital advocacy and tools
- Leverage “Survivors Speak” annual events to elevate the voices of crime survivors, increasing awareness of CSSJ, attracting new members and support, and driving our core narratives through digital media
- Utilize cross-channel promotional strategies to promote our research, reports and earned media
- Determine when and how to deploy the assets created by our story bank, using digital storytelling and compelling social and digital media content to reframe the narrative around crime survivors, public safety, healing, and stigma
- Conceptualize and execute other high-impact visual and digital storytelling projects
- Design and implement a wide range of multimedia to grow and engage ASJ’s supporters, influence policymakers, and raise the organization’s profile
- Liaise with and/or manage vendors and contractors on social media and digital projects
- Develop metrics for success for digital and social efforts, including benchmarking and KPIs specifically related to narrative-shifting and elevating the voices of crime survivors in the national dialogue on crime and incarceration
- Develop and implement a plan for state “member” outreach, including email blasts, newsletters and/or blog
- Support the management and maintenance of the organization’s social media accounts
- Update and maintain the organization’s websites, as needed
Other Duties & Responsibilities:
Participation in the key organizational convenings that allow the work to be completed, such as staff meetings, staff retreats, weekly check-ins with the supervisor, team meetings, and other meetings as required by the supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 4 years of professional experience in online community management, communications, digital advocacy, and/or online organizing
- Strong project management experience
- Prior experience managing or working closely with contractors to maintain websites or online advocacy and list-building campaigns
- Familiarity with criminal justice issues preferred, but not required
- Experience working with diverse communities and a deep commitment to social and racial justice
- Strong experience creating and leading digital campaigns (online advocacy, social media, paid media, etc.) and managing communities online
- Ability to gather helpful insights from Facebook Insights, Google Analytics, and other analytics tools
- Ability to frame ideas and synthesize complex policy issues to inform, entertain and persuade a range of audiences
- Ability to translate complex ideas and policy issues into accessible and compelling digital content
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively and listen and learn from feedback
- Ability to thrive in a busy, multi-tasking, and time-pressured environment
- Excellent writing skills and verbal communications skills
- Proficiency using office productivity software, including Microsoft Office
- Experience with CRMs and social media management and digital advocacy tools like BSD, Hootsuite, Buffer, Action Network, Salesforce, NGP, MobileCommons/Upland, Hustle, ControlShift, Dasheroo, WordPress, etc.
- Experience with WordPress and/or other CMS
- Experience with sophisticated audience segmentation and targeting, in political, non-profit, and/or corporate context
- Graphic design and/or video editing experience, including familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite
- Familiarity with Asana, Slack, FB Workplace and other project management and digital communication tools
Must be able to sit at a computer for extended periods of time. Travel will be required.
Bay Area, California, New York, Washington D.C. or remote telecommute. Standard work desks and furniture, fluorescent lighting. There is an elevator in the building. Located close to a train station. Work hours, dependent on deadlines, may sometimes include an occasional night or weekend assignments.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary will be commensurate with experience. The Tides Center offers a competitive benefits package including health/vision/dental insurance, retirement 403b match benefit, and paid sick, holiday, and vacation leave.
The Alliance for Safety and Justice, a project of Tides Center, is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions. Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.