Location: Flexible; remote telecommute
Division: Marketing & Communications
Reports to: Chief Marketing & Communications Officer
Position type: Full time, exempt
Founded in 2016, Alliance for Safety and Justice (ASJ) is a multi-state organization that aims to win new safety priorities in large incarceration states across the country. ASJ partners with leaders and advocates to advance state criminal justice reform through policy advocacy, coalition building, research, education, and strategic communications. ASJ also represents diverse victims of crime to advance policies that provide more safety and help, and people with old records to advance policies that provide more redemption and freedom. Californians for Safety and Justice (CSJ), which operates as ASJ’s flagship state advocacy effort, has been leading state advocacy efforts to replace over-incarceration in California with new safety priorities. Additionally, Alliance for Safety and Justice Action Fund, a project of Tides Advocacy, is the 501 (c)4 arm of ASJ.
Email marketing is critical to the success of ASJ and our ability to organize our constituencies, change laws, and raise funds to sustain our work. This role will be responsible for building a high-performing, data-driven and technology-enabled email operation, including driving the overall strategy and processes to advance new narratives on crime, safety and justice, and engaging in strategic advocacy for policy changes in states. As Email and SMS Manager, you will be responsible for acquiring and onboarding new members and ensuring all members are activated and retained. In this role, you will manage paid ads, email, and SMS to guide strategies that increase constituent growth and engagement through direct digital response for ASJ’s flagship constituencies: TimeDone, people with old conviction records, and Crime Survivors for Safety and Justice (CSSJ), people whose lives have been impacted by crime. This role reports to the Chief Marketing & Communications Officer and will serve as a technical lead throughout the organization and its flagship campaigns.
Our ideal candidate has a strong track record of building deep and sustainable engagement with a large digital audience. You have experience running high-impact email marketing campaigns and are looking for a face-paced environment where you can help build new safety solutions – shared safety for all. You are as comfortable rolling up your sleeves to get the job done as you are providing direction and delegation to others, particularly cross-functionally. You thrive in an agile, test-and-learn environment, you’re curious and inquisitive by nature and can get up to speed with new marketing solutions if needed. You understand that marketing creativity is nothing without technical prowess to back it up, and you approach your day-to-day with this insight.
- Build, optimize, and actively manage all aspects of ASJ’s paid ads campaigns, email and SMS processes, collaborating across teams and directing consultants when necessary, to produce action alerts, nurture campaigns, breaking news, volunteer and event invitations, and fundraising appeals while developing an organizational “voice” and storytelling on behalf of the communities ASJ serves.
- Design and execute email marketing campaigns across all channels (email, push, SMS, in-ap, site) to drive member-building and revenue generation by showcasing membership resources and giving opportunities. Build and own the end-to-end process for certain campaigns across email, site, and app with list segmentation and relevant, dynamic content.
- Partner with teams across the organization to drive personalized campaigns that encourage action.
- Craft robust A/B testing plans, actively assess plans, and analyze targeting, ad creative, landing pages, SMS and email content to drive ASJ membership and fundraising growth. This includes deliverability, open and click rates, conversion rates, opt-out rates, and revenue.
- Manage and report on email marketing and ad campaigns and results; use results to determine ROI, make suggestions for improvements, and establish best practices.
- Create and effectively manage all aspects of ASJ’s influencer marketing strategy.
- Provide strategic support and guidance to organizing and member engagement staff on how to incorporate a strong and consistent email program into their plans, to keep constituents engaged and primed for action.
- Manage an organization-wide email calendar in collaboration with Digital and program staff.
- Ensure prompt, accurate, and error-free communication with members to build engaging and meaningful relationships and minimize unsubscribes.
- Stay up to the minute on privacy changes, email marketing news and technology advances.
Experience & Qualifications
- 5+ years of CRM or email marketing experience and end-to-end campaign management – from conception to execution and everything in between. Experience with EveryAction is required.
- Minimum 3 years of basic HTML and design experience, with ability to write, design, build, troubleshoot, and edit email communications from soup to nuts.
- Extensive background in digital acquisition, re-engagement, and retention strategies.
- Track-record of success building and iterating targeted audience/customer workflows to drive business impact, with quantifiable results to prove it.
- Strong project management background; experience collaborating across multiple departments to execute projects. Proven ability to build strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Proficient computer skills and familiarity with Google Analytics, Google Sheets, and Microsoft Excel; experience with Salesforce Marketing cloud preferred.
- Experience with broadcast or peer-to-peer texting programs preferred.
- Experience managing integrations between digital and field is also a plus.
- Previous experience scaling a campaign, business, or program. Must know when to be scrappy and when to plan for the future.
- Experience working with diverse communities and a deep commitment to social and racial justice.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively and listen and learn from feedback.
- Ability to thrive in a busy, multi-tasking, and time-pressured environment.
Working Conditions & Physical Demands
- Some travel may be required
- Requires use of a desktop, laptop, or video display terminal
- Requires routine physical movements with limited physical exertion
- Ability to communicate, receive and understand information through oral and written communication and proofread and check documents for accuracy
- Requires communicating information with co-workers, stakeholders and/or the public; reading correspondence, instructions and/or technical documents; writing correspondence and/or reports and filling in forms
Compensation and Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with experience. The Alliance for Safety and Justice offers a competitive benefits package including health/vision/dental insurance, retirement 403b match benefit and paid sick, holiday and vacation leave.
Applications should be submitted via the posting link on ASJ’s jobs page. Please submit a cover letter indicating your interest in ASJ, the role, and your related experience, your resume, and 3-4 professional references.
The Alliance for Safety and Justice is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions. Reasonable accommodations will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application. Employment with Alliance for Safety and Justice is at-will. This means that employees are not guaranteed employment for a set time and that they or ASJ may end employment at any time, with or without notice, and with or without cause. No manager, supervisor, or employee of Alliance for Safety and Justice has the authority to enter into any agreement modifying the at-will nature of employment.