Location: Bay Area, CA
Reports to: Senior Bookkeeper
Department: Finance & Accounting
Start Date: ASAP – position open until filled
Position type: Full-time, non-exempt
Founded in 2016, Alliance for Safety and Justice (ASJ), a project of the Tides Center, is a multi-state organization that aims to win new safety priorities in large incarceration states across the country. At a time of immense opportunity, ASJ partners with leaders and advocates to advance state criminal justice reform through policy advocacy, coalition building, research, education, and strategic communications. ASJ also brings together diverse crime survivors to advance policies that help communities most harmed by crime and violence. ASJ’s sister organization, Californians for Safety and Justice (CSJ), also a project of Tides Center, has been leading state advocacy efforts to replace over-incarceration in California with new safety priorities since its inception in 2012. With a substantial California staff and a strong track record, CSJ operates as ASJ’s flagship state advocacy effort. Additionally, Alliance for Safety and Justice Action Fund, a project of Tides Advocacy, is the 501 (c)4 arm of both ASJ and CSJ. Combined, ASJ, CSJ, and ASJAF operate with 80+ staff and an annual operating budget of approximately $35 million.
ASJ is seeking a finance professional dedicated to ensuring the efficient, timely and reliable completion of the organization’s day-to-day financial tasks. The Finance Associate will support multiple finance-related responsibilities, including: credit cards, accounts payable, accounts receivable, the monthly close process, and daily tasks or ad hoc projects required of the Finance and Accounting department. This position requires someone who is comfortable communicating with all levels of staff to ensure tasks get completed on time, and is the right role for someone who thrives in a fast-paced environment, enjoys detail-oriented work, takes initiative, and asks targeted questions when they need guidance. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who is looking to build upon their experience during a time of rapid growth and transition in which ASJ is spinning off from its fiscal sponsor and building its independent 501(c)3 infrastructure.
Credit Cards (50%)
- Maintain employee credit cards (physical and virtual); track usage and assign restrictions; obtain cards for new hires as identified
- Issue and replace lost, expired or stolen cards for staff
- Verify credit card (CC) transactions and backup; contact CC holder regarding any issues
- Review and attach receipts within ASJ’s credit card reconciliation portal; review descriptions entered by cardholders for all transactions; enter CC transactions to Netsuite
- Work with relevant credit card holders to track down missing receipts
Accounts Payable & Receivable (25%)
- Track approved contracts with full details including contract amount, billing name, billing email, billing communication type, invoice status, and billing terms
- Request documentation such as W9 and ACH forms; flag any issues and resolve errors with contractors/ vendors as identified
- Send invoice approval deadline emails and reminders to staff
- Send late invoice and past due reminders to contractors in coordination with contract managers
- Assist with entering invoices, grants in/out, staff reimbursements, and stipends
- Receive incoming checks and payments
- Support with purchasing via ASJ business accounts as identified
Monthly Close & Ad Hoc Projects (25%)
- Upload all CC transactions and data into Netsuite
- Prepare monthly investment statements for all accounts
- Audit and upload vendor and/or grantee W9s and ACH paperwork
Experience & Qualifications
- 2+ years of finance, accounting or relevant experience
- 2+ years of experience with data entry, preferably in Netsuite or other bookkeeping/accounting platform
- Impeccable mathematics and analytical skills
- Experience working in nonprofit and/or campaign setting
- Ability to work independently, manage shifting priorities, and meet recurring deadlines
- Strong written and oral communication skills Proficiency with Netsuite, HRIS, payroll processing, or another financial platform strongly preferred
- Experience with workplace apps including Slack, Asana, Google, and similar productivity tools preferred
- Commitment to racial justice; experience working with diverse stakeholder and individuals impacted by crime and violence preferred
Working Conditions & Physical Demands
- Work is normally performed in an interior office setting which does not subject the employee to any hazardous or unusual element.
- Some travel may be required
- Requires use of a desktop, laptop, or video display terminal
- Requires routine physical movements with limited physical exertion
- Ability to communicate, receive and understand information through oral and written communication and proofread and check documents for accuracy
- Requires communicating information with co-workers, stakeholders and/or the public; reading correspondence, instructions and/or technical documents; writing correspondence and/or reports and filling in forms
Compensation and Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with experience. The Tides Center offers a competitive benefits package, including health insurance, retirement, and annual leave. As we build our independent 501c3, we are also working to offer a competitive benefits package.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send their resume and cover letter to our recruitment partner Miesha Fuller at Careers in Nonprofits at [email protected].
The Alliance for Safety and Justice, a project of Tides Center, is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions. Reasonable accommodations will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Last Updated: 6/30/21