IT Manager Job Description
Location: Oakland, CA; remote telecommute
Reports to: Senior Manager, Operations
Start Date: ASAP – position open until filled
Position type: Full time; exempt
Founded in 2016, the Alliance for Safety and Justice (ASJ), a project of the Tides Center, is a multi-state organization that aims to win new safety priorities in large incarceration states across the country. At a time of immense opportunity, ASJ partners with leaders and advocates to advance state criminal justice reform through policy advocacy, coalition building, research, education and strategic communications. ASJ also brings together diverse crime survivors to advance policies that help communities most harmed by crime and violence. ASJ’s sister organization, Californians for Safety and Justice (CSJ), also a project of Tides Center, has been leading state advocacy efforts to replace over-incarceration in California with new safety priorities since its inception in 2012. With a substantial California staff and a strong track record, CSJ operates as ASJ’s flagship state advocacy effort. Additionally, the Alliance for Safety and Justice Action Fund, a project of Tides Advocacy, is the 501 (c) 4 arm of both ASJ and CSJ.
The IT Manager oversees the people, processes, and technologies within Alliance for Safety and Justice, as well as provides direction and support for Systems, Tools & Technology (STT) solutions that drive ASJ’s strategic priority areas. The IT Manager will play a leadership role for the STT department within the Operations division, working closely with the rest of ASJ’s Operations staff, staff org-wide, and external stakeholders to identify key technology strategies needed to increase effectiveness of existing applications, support growth strategies, and provide alternative cost-effective technology solutions.
This is an exciting opportunity to play a key role in critical strategic, technical, and management initiatives — from information security to customer experience, mitigating threats, staff training , and driving organizational growth. This role reports to the Senior Manager, Operations.
STT Strategy (25%)
- Establish and communicate standards, including a team structure responsive to ASJ’s current and future needs and strategy with clear positional roles.
- Assist in the development of short, medium, and long range plans to achieve strategic and operational objectives within ASJ.
- Regularly interact across functional areas with the senior leadership to ensure objectives are on track and results achieved.
- Direct research and potential technology solutions and implementations in support of new initiatives, opportunities, and procurement efforts.
- Select and implement suitable technology to streamline all internal operations and help optimize their strategic and operational value.
Leadership and Operations (25%)
- Review performance of our systems and tools to determine operating costs, productivity levels, and upgrade requirements. Benchmark, analyze, report on, and make recommendations for the improvement of the STT infrastructure.
- Authorize, prioritize, and oversee the deployment, monitoring, maintenance, development, and support of all hardware and software based on organizational requirements.
- Analyze complex needs presented by the team and recommend technical solutions.
- Design and customize technological systems and platforms to improve user experience.
- Oversee data migration projects and integrations across enterprise systems.
- Serve, in conjunction with external contractors, as primary cybersecurity resource for ASJ and maintain ongoing security initiatives around SIEM, authentication, and incident management.
- Balance and prioritize the needs of the team with organization direction and capacity.
- Where necessary, re-engineer applications to ensure it aligns with multi-functional and/or multi-location process, tactical planning, and strategic vision.
- Maintain oversight of all STT projects, ensuring that commitments are properly planned, staffed, monitored, and reported.
- Define and communicate project milestones, service level agreements, and resource allocation to executive team, department leads, support staff, and end users.
- Support decision making about STT staffing positions based on strategic and operational needs, manage and delegate appropriately in support of meeting goals with a competent team.
- Maintain quality service by establishing and enforcing organizational standards.
- Commit to comprehensive and consistent documentation of business systems and interdependencies.
- Establish and enforce STT policies, processes, portfolio management, development standards, and methodologies.
Team Management (25%)
- Develop, evaluate, reward, and retain a highly-qualified team of IT professionals.
- Foster a culture of innovation, transparency, and accountability.
- Ensure that the organization has strong systems analysis and project management skills, and the ability to execute business-critical projects.
- Develop and maintain a plan that provides for succession and continuity in the most critical STT management positions, as needed.
- Oversee negotiation and administration of STT vendors, partners, and service agreements.
STT Financial Management (15%)
- Develop and review budgets for the STT department and ensure they are responsible to organizational strategy, stated goals, guidelines, and objectives.
- Develop justifications and cost/benefit analysis for STT spending and initiatives.
- Preserve assets by implementing disaster recovery and backup procedures and information security and control structures.
ASJ External Representative (10%)
- Attend industry related user groups and/or affinity organizations as a representative of ASJ in the technology community.
- Monitor the industry for developments in STT operations; evaluate and implement relevant new tools and service management frameworks.
Education and Experience
- 7+ years of experience in IT management positions.
- Bachelor’s degree in IT, Computer Science, or relevant business or technical discipline.
- An advanced degree in a related field, such as computer science, engineering and/or business (MBA) is preferred.
- Experience with oversight of organizational cyber security and IT risk management required.
- Experience implementing Asana, Slack, and HCMS
- Experience with NetSuite, Salesforce or similar ERP systems and integrations required.
- Experience in nonprofits or a related industry is preferred but not required.
- Demonstrated commitment to ASJ’s values, including criminal justice reform and shared safety solutions
Leadership and Communication
- Strong leadership, analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to influence thinking or gain acceptance of others in sensitive situations.
- Strong team player with a customer-first focus and attitude
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language
- High degree of integrity, discretion, professionalism, and accountability to achieve quality results
- Highly self-motivated, self-directed, and attentive to detail
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Extensive experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Proven experience in IT infrastructure strategic planning and development, project management, and policy development.
- Demonstrated experience and success with migrating business systems and infrastructure to the cloud
- Outstanding organizational skills, and the ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast paced, high pressure environment.
- Solid understanding of data analysis, budgeting and business operations
- Analytical mind and great problem-solving skills
- Strong understanding and technical knowledge of current network and PC operating systems, hardware, protocols, and standards.
- Experience with systems design and development from business requirements analysis through to day-to-day management.
- Knowledge of a range of vendor technology solutions; able to select and integrate the most appropriate technologies to support the business
Must be able to sit at a computer for extended periods of time. Some travel may be required.
Ideally based in or near Oakland, CA. Some travel required. Work hours, dependent on deadlines, may sometimes be odd and include occasional night or weekend assignments.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with experience. The Tides Center offers a competitive benefits package including health insurance, retirement, and annual leave.
Applications should be sent to our recruitment partner Careers in Nonprofit. Please submit a cover letter, resume, and 3-4 professional references Precious Woods at [email protected] with “IT Manager” in the subject line.
Alliance for Safety and Justice, a project of Tides Center, is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions. Reasonable accommodations will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Last Updated: 5/17/21