Location: Atlanta, GA; remote telecommute
Reports to: Chief of Organizing & National Director, CSSJ
Division: Organizing & Partnerships
Position type: Full-time, exempt
Founded in 2016, Alliance for Safety and Justice (ASJ), a project of the Tides Center, is a multi-state organization that aims to win new safety priorities in large incarceration states across the country. At a time of immense opportunity, ASJ partners with leaders and advocates to advance state criminal justice reform through policy advocacy, coalition building, research, education, and strategic communications. ASJ also brings together diverse crime survivors and people with past convictions to advance policies that help communities most harmed by crime and violence. ASJ’s sister organization, Californians for Safety and Justice (CSJ), has been leading state advocacy efforts to replace over-incarceration in California with new safety priorities for the last six years. With a substantial California staff and a strong track record, CSJ operates as ASJ’s flagship state advocacy effort. Additionally, Alliance for Safety and Justice Action Fund, a project of Tides Advocacy, is the 501 (c)4 arm of both ASJ and CSJ.
The Organizing & Partnerships Program Manager will support the Chief of Organizing in ensuring priority deliverables for the Organizing & Partnerships division are met to drive critical programmatic work forward. The Program Manager is focused on the internal administrative management needs that arise from the agenda the Chief of Organizing sets. This is a detail oriented position that’s focused on keeping the work moving and removing bottlenecks, tracking deliverables, supporting internal communication, and effective calendar management to keep team members on task and ensure the Chief of Organizing’s time and attention is focused on priority matters, as well as responsivity and efficiency in the execution of the work. Accordingly, this position will help to drive a wide range of activities in collaboration with the Chief of Organizing on a daily basis to ensure all division needs are met.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Support Chief of Organizing in Ensuring Program Execution (75%)
- Provide high-level support to the Chief of Organizing through daily check-ins to ensure that priority deliverables and requests are tracked and responded to.
- Develop agendas, attend meetings, take notes, and track action items for daily and weekly Organizing & Partnerships division meetings, including team specific, state-based and campaign, and consultant meetings, as well as staff 1:1s/check-ins as identified.
- Support the Chief of Organizing in calendar management, relaying scheduling needs, and ensuring meeting preparation and details are tracked.
- Support the Chief of Organizing in maintaining a supervision schedule with direct reports and tracking.
- In partnership with the Chief of Organizing and the Senior Manager, monitor a master calendar of all CSSJ & TimeDone related meetings, events, deliverables and activities in the states.
Tracking Deliverables (25%)
- In collaboration with the Senior Manager, ensure that priority work is moving forward and bottlenecks are eliminated through consistent tracking, assessment, and alignment with the Organizing & Partnerships division calendar, org-wide calendar, and key decision points.
- Work closely with Organizing & Partnerships division staff members to track team specific and program-wide priorities.
- Work closely with the Chief of Organizing to update the divisions systems and tools to consistently and effectively coordinate and track deliverables.
- Ensure relevant Organizing & Partnerships division staff are apprised of requests, issues and needs as they arise.
- Partner with the Grants & Contracts team on the execution of contracts for the Organizing & Partnerships division’s consultants and vendors, as needed.
- 5+ years work experience in public policy, advocacy, or mission driven nonprofit organization; administrative and/or program management experience preferred.
- A keen interest, experience and/or training in developing and implementing management systems and strategies.
- Experience working with diverse communities and stakeholders.
- A deep commitment to social and racial justice.
- Experience developing and administering systems for large organizations in addition to supporting work of organizations, staff and consultants at a distance.
- Experience in administrative or operations work supporting a large organization with strong attention to administrative detail.
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication
- Strong interpersonal skills and a commitment to personal growth and learning.
- Proficiency using office productivity software, including Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, listen and learn from feedback, make decisions in accordance with established policies and see projects through to completion.
- Experience working effectively in a fast paced environment with remote staff.
- Highly professional attitude, strong interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence required
- Sense of humor is a plus.
Working Conditions & Physical Demands
- This position is based in Atlanta, GA; option to remote telecommute.
- Occasional travel and/or weekend assignments may be required.
- Requires use of a desktop, laptop, or video display terminal.
- Requires routine physical movements with limited physical exertion.
- Ability to communicate, receive and understand information through oral and written communication and proofread and check documents for accuracy.
- Requires communicating information with co-workers, stakeholders and/or the public; reading correspondence, instructions and/or technical documents; writing correspondence and/or reports and filling in forms.
Applications should be sent to our recruitment partner at Career in Nonprofits, Precious Woods, [email protected] Please send a cover letter indicating your interest in ASJ, the role, and your related experience, your resume, and 3-4 professional references.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with experience. ASJ offers a competitive benefits package including health insurance, retirement, and annual leave.
Alliance for Safety and Justice and Alliance for Safety and Justice Action Fund are an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions.
Last Updated: 5/19/21