Location: Pennsylvania; Philadelphia preferred
Division: State Capacity
Reports to: Pennsylvania State Director; National Director, CSSJ
Start Date: ASAP; position open until filled
Position type: Full-time, exempt
Founded in 2016, Alliance for Safety and Justice (ASJ) is a multi-state organization that aims to win new safety priorities in large incarceration states across the country. At a time of immense opportunity, ASJ partners with leaders and advocates to advance state criminal justice reform through policy advocacy, coalition building, research, education, and strategic communications. ASJ also brings together diverse crime survivors and people with past convictions to advance policies that help communities most
harmed by crime and violence. ASJ’s partner organization, Californians for Safety and Justice (CSJ), has been leading state advocacy efforts to replace over-incarceration in California with new safety priorities since its inception in 2012. With a substantial California staff and a strong track record, CSJ operates as ASJ’s flagship state advocacy effort. Additionally, Alliance for Safety and Justice Action Fund, a project of Tides Advocacy, is the 501 (c)4 arm of both ASJ and CSJ.
Shortly after Californians for Safety and Justice began, organizational leaders launched a new program called Crime Survivors for Safety and Justice to organize diverse survivors of crime across California to weigh in on criminal justice and public safety policy to expand protections and support for all victims of crime. As the work in California grew nationally, so did the Crime Survivors for Safety and Justice (CSSJ) program. Today, the program has 70,000 members across the country, and actively champions reforms in the nation’s largest states. In all of our states, the work of Crime Survivors for Safety and Justice is a central component of our work – representing the heart of our organization. As we scale, we are developing a consistent model for regular chapter meetings, trainings, and leadership development opportunities for our survivor members.
We are seeking a Pennsylvania CSSJ Statewide Manager to manage Pennsylvania’s membership engagement activities for our Crime Survivors for Safety and Justice membership program, focused on organizing survivors of crime. The Pennsylvania CSSJ Statewide Manager will be the leading “face” of CSSJ in the state, managing offline member recruitment and maintenance, developing relationships with members, and ensuring members, partners, and allies are aware of our bills. This position will work side by side with in-state capacity staff to engage state partners and develop relationships with electeds at the state level, represent ASJ and mobilize people at the capitol, and build our CSSJ chapter and member base in Pennsylvania. This position requires someone who is knowledgeable in advocacy work, civic engagement, organizing — and understands how to advance change in a trauma-informed way.
Civic Engagement & Chapter Development (40%)
● Work with Membership Engagement staff to build the CSSJ chapter and member base and identify and cultivate new leaders within the CSSJ movement; guide internal staff on membership, policy, and training needs in Pennsylvania
● Provide internal leadership for the CSSJ program in Pennsylvania; serve as lead for Pennsylvania CSSJ internally and externally to build a presence with media, legislators, and all stakeholders
● Manage all contracts and subgrants related to CSSJ work in Pennsylvania
● Develop, manage and attend all events related to CSSJ work in Pennsylvania Policy Advocacy & Constituency Building (40%)
● Collaborate with the Pennsylvania State Director, Policy Department, and Advocacy Division as a whole, and in-state staff to develop and implement a policy agenda that reflects our membership and legislative strategy, including shared oversight of policy retreats
● Work with the policy, lobby, and advocacy teams to garner support for bills (letters and otherwise), and map out a plan for critical legislative visits for our members (in-district/in the capitol)
● Work with Advocacy division and Organizing and Partnerships to build ongoing support for legislative campaigns and monitor bill progress
● Garner support for CSSJ across Pennsylvania; manage relationships with key stakeholders and allies in the state, including traditional and non-traditional victims’ advocacy groups, state victim advocate, legislators, stakeholders representing labor, education, victim services, grassroots organizations, and others.
CSSJ Communications (20%)
● Manage email, social media, and text messaging communications to all statewide members
● Work with the Digital Team and relevant staff to support the execution of the digital plan for CSSJ and secure supporters
● Partner with Communications staff to identify authors for op-eds and respond to requests around CSSJ related media
● Respond to all requests that come in from our CSSJ member base, including all coalition requests around CSSJ work
● Represent the CSSJ program at funder convenings, as applicable
Experience & Qualifications
● 5+ years of experience working in advocacy, campaigns, or project management
● Strong statewide organizing experience; demonstrated track record building, organizing and retaining membership around a social justice issue
● Experience working with diverse stakeholders, including elected officials and community leaders
● Prior experience interacting with the criminal justice system is preferred
● Experience working with diverse communities and a deep commitment to social and racial justice
● Excellent relationship management skills are absolutely essential for this position; strong interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence required
● Ability to work independently and collaboratively, listen and learn from feedback, make decisions in accordance with established policies and see projects through to completion
● Comfortable with Mac laptops, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel; Google Drive experience and project management software (Asana, Slack) a plus
Reports to the Pennsylvania State Director and the National Director, CSSJ
Working Conditions & Physical Demands
● This position is based in Pennsylvania; Philadelphia preferred; option to remote telecommute.
● Occasional travel and/or weekend assignments may be required.
● Requires use of a desktop, laptop, or video display terminal.
● Requires routine physical movements with limited physical exertion.
● Ability to communicate, receive and understand information through oral and written communication and proofread and check documents for accuracy.
● Requires communicating information with co-workers, stakeholders and/or the public; reading correspondence, instructions and/or technical documents; writing correspondence and/or reports and filling in forms.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with experience. The Alliance for Safety and Justice offers a competitive benefits package including health insurance, retirement, and annual leave.
Applications should be sent to [email protected] with the subject line “Pennsylvania CSSJ Statewide Manager.” Applications must include:
1. A cover letter that explains your interest in the position and ASJ with experience alignment;
2. Your resume;
3. 3 professional references from people who have worked regularly with or supervised you in a current or recent job
The Alliance for Safety and Justice is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions. Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Last updated: 9/1/21