Reports to: Director of People Operations
Department: Human Resources
Position type: Full-time, exempt
Location: Bay Area, CA
Founded in 2016, Alliance for Safety and Justice (ASJ), a project of the Tides Center, is a multi-state organization that aims to win new safety priorities in large incarceration states across the country. At a time of immense opportunity, ASJ partners with leaders and advocates to advance state criminal justice reform through policy advocacy, coalition building, research, education, and strategic communications. ASJ also brings together diverse crime survivors and people with past convictions to advance policies that help communities most harmed by crime and violence. ASJ’s sister organization, Californians for Safety and Justice (CSJ), has been leading state advocacy efforts to replace over-incarceration in California with new safety priorities for the last six years. With a substantial California staff and a strong track record, CSJ operates as ASJ’s flagship state advocacy effort. Additionally, Alliance for Safety and Justice Action Fund, a project of Tides Advocacy, is the 501 (c)4 arm of both ASJ and CSJ.
The People Operations Specialist (POS) is a pivotal role within the Human Resources (HR) Department. This position is responsible for supporting and coordinating all processes, programs and initiatives that support effective HR operations and a positive experience across all touchpoints during an employee’s life cycle. The POS will provide essential coordination of the systems, processes, and activities in the following core areas: HR administration, staff support and communications; recruitment, hiring and onboarding; HR systems and department infrastructure support. Reporting to the Director of People Operations, this role is part of the Operations division. This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced, strategic and tactical HR professional who likes to build systems and who is a creative problem solver. The People Operations Specialist will join ASJ during a time of rapid growth as AS becomes a newly independent organization.
HR Administration, Staff Support & Communications (60%)
- Manage the day to day administration of ASJ’s Human Capital Management System (HCMS); troubleshoot and field staff questions; manage HCMS vendor relationship
- Manage the day to day operations of ASJ’s Benefits Administration system in partnership with ASJ’s benefits broker; troubleshoot and field staff questions; manage broker relationship
- Support the annual Open Enrollment process in partnership with the Director of People Operations
- Develop and facilitate accessible staff trainings on the use of HR systems as identified in collaboration with key Operations staff
- Ensure that ASJ’s HR practices are in compliance with federal, state and local laws in partnership with the Legal & Compliance director; monitor proper filing/maintenance of personnel records
- Support the development and maintenance of HR policies and procedures in partnership with the HR Manager, People & Culture
- Spearhead the development and maintenance of an annual HR calendar, identifying key annual benchmarks, organizational events, holidays, etc; ensure communication to staff
- Identify HR communications and updates to staff via the utilization of the monthly newsletter, staff meeting and tools in partnership with key Operations staff
- Organize and monitor HR systems and project management tools; ensure integration and accuracy as identified
- Support the set up, execution and tracking of HR contracts in collaboration with the Director of People Operations and Grants & Contracts staff
- Support the development of HR department meeting agendas
- Serve as the primary point of contact for day to day HR support across the organization; be available for staff 1:1s and manage weekly HR Support Hours; elevate issues/themes to the Director of People Operations as identified
Recruitment, Hiring & Onboarding (40%)
- Collaborate with division heads and hiring managers on planning, creating, posting, interviewing, and filling open roles, including:
- Building a pipeline of top talent through ASJ’s branding initiatives and external sourcing; partner with members of the Communications team accordingly
- Effectively managing the full cycle of roles and candidates, with minimal direction, including coordinating, scheduling, and participating in interviews with candidates and managing the candidate pipeline via the ATS
- Developing and continuously improving hiring and interviewing resources templates (candidate communication templates, interview scripts, offer letter template)
- Driving new hiring strategies, related but not limited to, diversity and inclusion, employee experience and organizational culture
- Tracking and reporting on recruitment KPIs and implementing feedback to improve time to fill and other hiring goals
- Manage, coordinate and develop all activities related to employee orientation and onboarding of new employees in partnership with key Operations staff
- Serve as a positive and welcoming touchpoint and resource for all employees throughout the organization in raising issues, questions and concerns relevant to their employment experience with ASJ; partner with the HR Manager, People & Culture accordingly
- Coordinate the offboarding of employees including conducting exit meetings to ascertain input about an employee’s experience and reasons for leaving ASJ.
- Help administer and support the performance management program and learning and development initiatives in collaboration with the Director of People Operations and HR staff
- Identify and recommend opportunities to enhance the employee experience at each touchpoint in the employee journey with ASJ in collaboration with the Director of People Operations and HR staff
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college university in Human Resources, Psychology, Business Administration or Public Administration
- 5+ years progressively responsible experience managing and supporting a diverse range of people and culture functions preferably in a nonprofit, public sector, or advocacy setting with a proven track record of experience managing HR technologies, workflows processes and systems supporting these areas.
- Experience working in a nonprofit or startup environment preferred
- Experience managing and coordinating HR broker and vendor relationships
- Experience developing staff training and HR communications
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence
- Strong written and verbal communications skills; able to communicate concepts to diverse audiences
- Meticulously well-organized with diligent attention to detail, ability to set priorities, meet deadlines; takes pride in consistently producing accurate, timely and quality work products with minimal supervision
- Ability to analyze a broad range of data to identify trends, grasp issues, draw conclusions, solve problems, and drive results
- Proficiency using office productivity software, including Google Suite, Asana, Zoom, and Slack; fluency in HR and HCMS software
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, listen and learn from feedback, make decisions in accordance with established policies and see projects through to completion
- Experience working in diverse community settings and communities impacted by crime and violence
- Commitment to racial and social justice
- PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP, or SHRM-SCP certification a plus
- Sense of humor is a plus!
COMPETENCIES (Knowledge, Skills & Personal Attributes)
Passion for the Mission & Core Values: Passion for the mission of ASJ combined with a commitment to treating others with respect, appreciating individual differences and embracing the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Ethics & Integrity: Earns the trust and respect of others through a consistent commitment to integrity, honesty, and professionalism in all interactions.
Champion of Diversity, Equity + Inclusion: The ability to inspire and engage others to embrace and build a diverse, equitable and inclusive organizational culture that enables all staff to thrive and which advances organizational success.
HR/People and Culture Knowledge: Knowledge of HCMS technology and HR systems in addition to at least three or more of the following core people and culture areas: recruitment, career pathing, performance, learning, DEI, employee engagement, benefits, compensation, and total rewards. An understanding of federal, state and city compliance issues, regulations and applicable employment laws impacting employers, employees, and the workplace. A strong commitment to quality and staying up to date on emerging trends and best practices in the field.
Planning, Organizing & Problem-Solving: Able to manage multiple projects effectively. Defines tasks and milestones to achieve objectives and ensures the optimal use of resources to effectively solve problems and accomplish work objectives. Alerts others to possible problems in a timely fashion and knows when to seek support and direction from others to solve problems, while offering possible solutions. Acts on solutions selected and decisions made.
Relationship Building: A natural relationship builder with excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to think strategically and build constructive and positive working relationships with internal stakeholders characterized by a high level of acceptance, cooperation, and mutual respect.
Decision-Making & Judgment: Integrates broad knowledge of information sources, garners insight from abstract data that can be used to assess problems and exercises sound judgement to make decisions. Thoroughly analyzes impact of possible solutions and decisions and shares probable impacts based on experience. Is proactive in deciding best course of action, anticipating likely outcomes or implications.
Collaboration & Teamwork: Committed to working in collaboration with others, promoting cooperation and commitment to others and being a positive team contributor.
Customer Service: Exhibits a strong commitment to delivering a superior experience for all employees.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Work is normally performed in an interior office setting which does not subject the employee to any hazardous or unusual element.
- Some travel may be required
- Requires use of a desktop, laptop, or video display terminal
- Requires routine physical movements with limited physical exertion
- Ability to communicate, receive and understand information through oral and written communication and proofread and check documents for accuracy
- Requires communicating information with co-workers, stakeholders and/or the public; reading correspondence, instructions and/or technical documents; writing correspondence and/or reports and filling in forms
Applications should be sent to our recruitment partner Diane Yeboah at NonprofitHR at [email protected] with the subject line “ATTN: People Operations Specialist”.
The Alliance for Safety and Justice, a project of Tides Center and the sister organization of another Tides Center project, Californians for Safety and Justice, as well as Alliance for Safety and Justice Action Fund, a 501(c)4 project of The Advocacy Fund, is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions.