Location: San Francisco Bay Area, Los Angeles, Washington, DC or remote telecommute
Reports to: Managing Director, Government Affairs
Start Date: ASAP – Position open until filled
Position Type: Full time
Founded in 2016, the Alliance for Safety and Justice (ASJ), a project of the Tides Center, is a multi-state organization that aims to win new safety priorities in large incarceration states across the country. At a time of immense opportunity, ASJ partners with leaders and advocates to advance state criminal justice reform through policy advocacy, coalition building, research, education and strategic communications. ASJ also brings together diverse crime survivors to advance policies that help communities most harmed by crime and violence. ASJ’s sister organization, Californians for Safety and Justice (CSJ), also a project of Tides Center, has been leading state advocacy efforts to replace over-incarceration in California with new safety priorities for the last six years. With a substantial California staff and a strong track record, CSJ operates as ASJ’s flagship state advocacy effort. Additionally, the Alliance for Safety and Justice Action Fund, a project of Tides Advocacy, is the 501 (c)4 arm of both ASJ and CSJ. Combined, ASJ and CSJ operate with 60 staff and an annual budget of over $20 million.
The Program Manager, Government Affairs oversees all aspects of ASJ state policy advocacy strategies and is responsible for helping the Managing Director, Government Affairs execute a wide range of tasks and activities. The diverse skills required for this position include administrative, research, event planning, and systems management. The successful Program Manager will pay special attention to continuing to develop and maintain internal information-sharing infrastructure on all state advocacy strategies, ensuring that tasks, “to do’s” and activities are tracked, emerging needs are addressed and relevant staff are apprised of issues as needed.
In supporting the Managing Director, Government Affairs, the Program Manager will communicate regularly with the regional and state directors and in-state support staff to track campaign activities and help organize events, meetings, and activities. The position will also work with the Managing Director to ensure the most efficient use of time and resources. This position will be evaluated based on the ability to help the Managing Director keep all state advocacy strategies moving forward in alignment with set timelines, benchmarks and goals, and to track and streamline communications related to all state advocacy efforts.
The Program Manager, Government Affairs will report to the Managing Director, Government Affairs and be responsible for the following:
Relationship Management and Information Sharing (60%)
- Communicate with the Managing Director to assist with building the capacity of in-state partners and to build new alliances with law enforcement and influential sectors in partner states to advance policy goals
- Cultivate a trusting relationship with lobbyists and key stakeholders in the state by acting as a liaison between Managing Director and partners in the state
- Manage government affairs resource spreadsheets for all states by tracking all action items, collecting information and communicating with state directors and in-state lobbyists
Planning/Project Management (30%)
- Identify opportunities for synergy and areas for growth by reviewing and analyzing progress towards state campaign benchmarks to ensure that state investments and resources are leveraged appropriately and efficiently
- Anticipate gaps and recommend the necessary support/resources when appropriate
- Ensure the execution of strategies and action items that advance policy goals
- Manage government affairs resource spreadsheets for all states by tracking all action items, collecting state information and ensuring leadership teams have access
- Identify opportunities for instate events to elevate the profile of ASJ in states
- Coordinate, plan and assist with state policy events throughout each state by working with vendors, event managers, and various staff members
- Support Government Affairs staff with the execution of tasks and projects
Contracts Management (5%)
- Manage and track all contracts and grants under the Managing Director, Government Affairs by ensuring all grants and contracts are up to date and submitted to grants and contracts team in a timely manner
- Occasionally assist with editing/writing speeches and decision memos for the Managing Director, Government Affairs
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent; advanced degree preferred
- At least 10 years working on human resources, organizational management and/or leadership development
- A keen interest, experience and/or training in developing and implementing management systems and human resource strategies
- Highly organized, creative and passionate about ASJ’s mission
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a commitment to personal growth and learning
- Experience managing systems with the ability to work well with diverse stakeholders
- Experience developing and managing systems for large organizations
- Experience overseeing work of organizations, staff, and consultants at a distance
- Experience working effectively in a fast-paced environment where staff are not in the same location
- Flexible, goal-oriented and able to work odd hours and travel as needed
- Passion for criminal justice reform and a deep commitment to elevating the voices of those most harmed and least helped by current approaches to incarceration and crime in advocating for change
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives and systems for communications and accountability
Must be able to sit at a computer for extended periods of time. Travel will be required.
This is a remote telecommute position that requires moderate travel. Work hours, depending on circumstances may sometimes be odd and include an occasional night or weekend assignments.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary will be commensurate with experience. The Tides Center offers a competitive benefits package including health/vision/dental insurance, retirement 403b match benefit, and paid sick, holiday, and vacation leave.
Applications should be sent to Thomas Young (firstname.lastname@example.org), Recruiter at Careers in Nonprofits with a reference to the job title, “Program Manager, Government Affairs” in the subject line. Please send a cover letter indicating your match to the stated job requirements and your resume as well as 3-4 references.
Position open until filled. The Alliance for Safety and Justice, a project of Tides Center, is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status or medical conditions. Reasonable accommodations will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.