Location: Oakland, CA, Washington, D.C., Los Angeles, or NYC. Remote telecommute also possible.
Reports to: ASJ Vice President
Start Date: ASAP – position open until filled
Position type: Full time
The Alliance for Safety and Justice (ASJ) is a new national organization working with state-based partners to replace wasteful prison spending with new safety solutions rooted in prevention and community health. ASJ brings capacity and expertise in alliance building, issue education, and policy advocacy to its state-based campaigns to advance policy reforms that will significantly reduce incarceration rates and racial disparities in the criminal justice system. ASJ is committed to both reforming state justice systems and empowering the communities most harmed by concentrated crime and over-incarceration.
ASJ seeks a Relationships Manager to join a fast-paced team working to reform state criminal justice policy and transform the national dialogue on crime and incarceration. This individual will work with the Vice President and across the organization to educate and recruit high profile influencers, celebrities, and members of the entertainment and sports sectors to support event and public relations programming to advance our state advocacy campaigns.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Educate members of the entertainment and sports sectors on criminal justice and public safety issues
- Develop opportunities for members of the entertainment and sports sectors to weigh in on safety and justice policy issues and raise awareness of these issues to broad-reaching audiences
- Locate high profile speakers and entertainers for events
- Develop high profile ambassadors from the sports and entertainment industries to support ASJ state campaigns
- Work closely with Development team to integrate ambassadors with fundraising and other donor engagement strategies
- Coordinate with Operations and Communications teams for event and media programs
- Work with the communications team to produce high-quality videos and other digital or social media materials profiling sports and entertainment leaders weighing in on safety and justice issues
- Work with the advocacy and organizing teams to cultivate in-state relationships with leaders in sports and entertainment that want to raise awareness about safety and justice issues
- Develop written marketing materials for sports and entertainment sector leaders
- Support events, outreach, materials production, etc., to execute the deliverables for this position
- 2-3 years of experience working in sports, entertainment, or publicity industries
- Demonstrated success in leveraging and managing relationships in sports and entertainment industry
- Existing relationships in sports and entertainment industry
- Prior experience interacting with the criminal justice system is preferred
- Experience working with diverse communities and a deep commitment to social and racial justice
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent relationship skills is absolutely essential for this position
- Proficiency using office productivity software, including Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, listen and learn from feedback, make decisions in accordance with established policies and see projects through to completion
- Strong interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence required
- Sense of humor is a plus!
Reports to the ASJ Vice President and works in close coordination with the development team
- Comfortable with Mac laptops generally and Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel in particular, Google Drive experience a plus
Must be able to sit at a computer for extended periods of time. Some travel may be required.
Oakland, CA, Washington, DC, NYC and Los Angeles based. Downtown office environment with open seating areas and individual offices. Standard work desks and furniture, fluorescent lighting. There is an elevator in the building. Located close to train station. Work hours, dependent on deadlines, may sometimes be odd and include occasional night or weekend assignments.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary will be commensurate with experience. The Tides Center offers a competitive benefits package including health insurance, retirement, and annual leave.
Applications should be sent to email@example.com with a reference to the job title, “Relationships Manager,” in the subject line. Please send:
- A one-page cover letter that explains your interest in the position and how you match the stated requirements;
- Your resume;
- 3-4 professional references
Position open until filled.
The Alliance for Safety and Justice, a project of Tides Center and the sister organization of another Tides Center project, Californians for Safety and Justice, as well as Alliance for Safety and Justice Action Fund, a 501(c)4 project of The Advocacy Fund, is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions. Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.