The Senior Data Manager is a specialized research position whose core responsibility is to design and conduct quantitative analysis on criminal justice and safety data sets to support the work of our programs. The Senior Data Manager will be a member of the Research team and collaborate with the team to support the organization’s mission and strategies.
The Alliance for Safety and Justice (ASJ) is a new national organization working with state-based partners to replace wasteful prison spending with new safety solutions rooted in prevention and community health. ASJ brings capacity and expertise in alliance building, issue education, community organizing, and policy advocacy to its state-based campaigns to advance policy reforms that will significantly reduce incarceration rates and racial disparities in the criminal justice system. ASJ is committed to both reforming state justice systems and empowering the communities most harmed by violence and over-incarceration. Central to our work is the recognition that survivors deserve a justice system that prioritizes healing, prevention and recovery, and too often these needs are unmet.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Clean and analyze large and complex data sets and convey findings to different audiences, both internal and external, including non-expert audiences.
- Example: Design and establish methods and protocols for analyzing large and complex public safety and public health data sets, e.g. 98+ million rows of data on individual criminal histories, provided in 210 text files.
- Engage in strategic partnerships with experts, advocates, organizations, academics, and government data and statistics units.
- Navigate governmental processes for obtaining data, including drafting and submitting Public Information Act requests, obtaining IRB approvals, and establishing or renewing data security protocols that comply with regulations, e.g. HIPAA.
- Create compelling data visualizations that enhance the impact of research.
- Strategically identify and pursue data collection and analysis projects to advance the mission of the organization.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- A methodical, detail-oriented and coordinated approach to investigating and acquiring knowledge.
- Expertise in quantitative and qualitative data analysis.
- An ability to communicate complex topics to non-expert audiences, verbally and in writing.
- Self-starter, with the capacity to manage competing priorities and to work cooperatively and effectively in a rapidly changing environment with tight deadlines.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- A demonstrated commitment to social and racial justice.
- Extensive experience using a range of advanced statistical methods and intuition to deeply understand and communicate the story behind the data.
- 5+ years standardizing, combining and analyzing data from disparate file sources and formats to derive clear, concise and compelling messaging and visualizations.
- Experience working with a statistical package such as R, SAS, STATA, Python, SPSS, SQL or other equivalent to prepare and analyze data.
- Deep understanding of the statistical complexity and data challenges present in working with criminal justice system data. Expertise translating research and analysis performed into accessible briefs, fact sheets, data visualizations, reports, etc.
- Experience conducting research in partnership with criminal justice agencies and comfort with the realities of applied research: limited (and often “dirty”) data and short timelines.
- Experience designing both quantitative and qualitative research projects.
- Expertise in state and local criminal justice issues.
- Experience speaking publicly about research, ideally criminal justice research.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation commensurate with experience. Full medical/dental benefits provided.
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with a reference to the job title, “Senior Data Manager” in the subject line of the email. Please send:
- A one-page cover letter that explains your interest in the position and how you match the stated requirements;
- Your resume; and
- 3-4 professional references.
Alliance for Safety and Justice, a project of Tides Center, is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer communities. Applicants who are formerly incarcerated or otherwise impacted by the criminal justice system are encouraged to apply. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions. Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.