Reports to: Senior Manager, Communications
Department: Content & Creative
Position type: Full-time, exempt
Founded in 2016, Alliance for Safety and Justice (ASJ), a project of the Tides Center, is a multi-state organization that aims to win new safety priorities in large incarceration states across the country. At a time of immense opportunity, ASJ partners with leaders and advocates to advance state criminal justice reform through policy advocacy, coalition building, research, education, and strategic communications. ASJ also brings together diverse crime survivors and people with past convictions to advance policies that help communities most harmed by crime and violence. ASJ’s sister organization, Californians for Safety and Justice (CSJ), has been leading state advocacy efforts to replace over-incarceration in California with new safety priorities for the last six years. With a substantial California staff and a strong track record, CSJ operates as ASJ’s flagship state advocacy effort. Additionally, Alliance for Safety and Justice Action Fund, a project of Tides Advocacy, is the 501 (c)4 arm of both ASJ and CSJ.
Alliance for Safety and Justice is seeking a talented Senior Graphic Designer to conceptualize, create and manage digital and print designs for our Communications Division. The ideal candidate is a strategic and detail oriented individual, confident in their ability to deliver high quality content. They can be a thought partner and implementer for staff across the organization in how to visualize big ideas in a way that’s accessible to a variety of audiences. The Senior Graphic Designer’s responsibilities include managing all graphic design tasks, refining projects and drafts, and generating creative ideas.
To be successful as a Senior Graphic Designer, the ideal candidate should have extensive knowledge of graphic design, digital trends (including memes), styles and techniques, and the project management skills to advance work to completion. They should also have experience in implementing marketing campaigns, and experience interfacing directly with clients/customers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Create a range of powerful, culturally-relevant, and viable concepts and designs to ensure messaging and design work together to tell a compelling story that is consistent with overall messaging strategy
- Design high-impact digital graphic content, illustrations, and infographics for digital and social media channels, websites, and digital advertising
- Develop high-impact print designs and assets from conception to delivery, including brochures, flyers, logos, presentations, publications, reports, promotional products, and out-of-home advertising and collateral
- Prioritize multiple projects and deliver high-quality designs on time, under tight and frequent deadlines
- Communicate design concepts with clear reasoning behind proposed solutions and an ability to explain how the design will resonate with the end user, both written and verbally with internal teams
- Work cross-functionally and within teams to participate in all stages of the design process, communicate timelines and status, and ensure deadlines for design collateral and needs are met
- Set the visual tone of the organization’s various brands, maintaining a brand identity and consistency through various projects while generating fresh concepts
- Drive graphic consistency, brand standards, and quality across brand touchpoints
- Play an integral role in maintaining the visual brand integrity and review, revise, and enhance identity standards
- Remain up-to-date with industry developments, and knowledge of the latest trends in design
- Create design templates that can be employed by staff of various design literacy levels
- Update digital and print marketing materials
- Manage design consultants to address “surge capacity” needs
- Develop templates to address consistent organizational publishing needs, with an eye towards using design to systematically address department needs.
Experience & Qualifications
- Bachelor of Fine Arts or Master of Fine Arts degree preferred with a minimum of five years’ experience and/or training
- At least 5-7 years of experience in graphic design, print, and digital media, marketing or related design field(s)
- Excellent and diverse portfolio with bold and impactful work showcasing stellar foundations of design
- Expert in all aspects of developing creative in a digital, product or user-centric space
- Experienced in all aspects of creative project management from kickoff to completion
- Experience working with written products to accentuate impact through design
- Passionate about producing data-informed, measurably effective artwork
- Aesthetic skills with a keen eye for visual details, typography and layout hierarchy to develop fresh and innovative designs
- Ability and desire to build creative concepts from the ground up
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
- Expert knowledge of setting up files for print production and working with product vendors to ensure jobs are produced properly
- Ability to meet deadlines and collaborate with team members, including those who are unfamiliar with graphic design
- Experience with illustration or icon design and Motion Graphics or video production are a bonus
- A knack for strategic brainstorming, campaign development, and creative execution
- Creative Suite, including InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator: at least 3 years (Required), and Acrobat as well as Microsoft PowerPoint
Working Conditions & Physical Demands
- This location of this position is flexible with the option to remote telecommute.
- Occasional travel and/or weekend assignments may be required.
- Requires use of a desktop, laptop, or video display terminal.
- Requires routine physical movements with limited physical exertion.
- Ability to communicate, receive and understand information through oral and written communication and proofread and check documents for accuracy.
- Requires communicating information with co-workers, stakeholders and/or the public; reading correspondence, instructions and/or technical documents; writing correspondence and/or reports and filling in forms.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary will be commensurate with experience. The Tides Center offers a competitive benefits package including health insurance, retirement, and annual leave.
Applications should be sent to our recruitment partner, Raquel Clubwala at Creative Circle, at [email protected] Please send a cover letter, your resume, a work sample via a PDF or website link, and 3-4 professional references.
Alliance for Safety and Justice, a project of Tides Center, is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions. Reasonable accommodations will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Last Updated: 5/26/21