Location: Flexible; remote telecommute
Reports to: National Director, TimeDone
Position type: Full-time, exempt
Alliance for Safety and Justice (ASJ) is a national advocacy organization that aims to replace ineffective criminal justice system policies with what works to keep people safe. We represent diverse crime survivors as well as people living with old records as key public safety stakeholders. ASJ brings our members together with state leaders and coalition partners to win reforms that stop cycles of crime, reduce costly incarceration, and make communities safer. We support a range of “shared safety” reforms, including crime prevention, community health, rehabilitation, economic mobility, and trauma recovery. For more information, visit: https://allianceforsafetyandjustice.org.
TimeDone (TD) is the organization’s newest membership program. Launched in 2018 with the help of the late Nipsey Hussle, TimeDone is focused on organizing people with past convictions to lift their voices up in public safety and criminal justice policy debates and win policy changes that eliminate barriers to economic inclusion and financial stability. The program started in California and is now growing across the country in the states that ASJ works in. TimeDone has 40,000 online members across the country and partnerships with dozens of reentry service providers, businesses, labor unions, and reform organizations to grow the movement for economic inclusion and financial stability. This position is part of the vertically integrated team supporting member building in all ASJ states.
ASJ is seeking a TimeDone Social Media & Community Associate to help lead the online growth and mobilization of our community to engage with helpful resources and amplify stories and activities across TimeDone-branded social media channels. This role will provide a strategic organizing direction for TimeDone’s social media presence through social media management, impactful content creation, peer-to-peer online engagement, user acquisition and growth. This position requires someone who is knowledgeable in organizing through social media, rapid response advocacy, and civic engagement, as well as someone who understands how to advance change in a trauma-informed way. The TimeDone Social Media & Community Associate will work closely with a collaborative, high-impact team within a fast-paced, growing organization, and will report to the National Director, TimeDone.
Social Media Management & Content Creation (75%)
- Work with the National Director, TimeDone and Digital Communications staff to build and develop social media channels, online organizing pages, initiatives and tactics on digital platforms for TD, including but not limited to: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Discord, TikTok, YouTube, LinkedIn
- Assume primary ownership of member-focused online spaces for TD, including but not limited to: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Discord, TikTok, YouTube, LinkedIn; focus on building, activating and moderating local groups and other online communities to push out content/messages, build turnout for events, and celebrate leaders/members; organize in other online spaces to recruit/attract new members
- Build, develop, and maintain a high-performing team of community moderators who moderate across all social platforms where TD has a presence, including delivering top-notch expertise and timely member support, operating with unfaltering judgment, and escalating brand-sensitive issues as necessary
- Partner closely with other communications staff across the organization and contractors as needed to evolve the platform and bring new capabilities to fruition
- Proactively define and deliver social media strategy, business plans, and roadmap in the achievement of programmatic strategic goals
- Establish a vibrant online community space for TD members, as measured through traffic, returning visitors, session length, posting, kudos, etc
- Manage and optimize user feedback channels to identify landscape-specific trends, compile reports and shared insights to drive improvements; monitor statistics, reports trends, variances, and issues, and take action as needed
- Content creation
- Create and maintain an organizing-focused social media strategy across all platforms in collaboration with Communications and TD Organizing staff
- Lead creation of organizing-focused campaigns and content, assist with development of all TD content, and guide prioritization of content placement within social media platform calendars in collaboration with Communications staff
- Create digital toolkits to promote TD’s brand and campaigns in partnership with Communications and Design staff
- Create compelling graphics and videos for social posts, online ads, email blasts, etc. in collaboration with Communications staff for all TD activities
- Conceptualize and execute other high-impact visual and digital storytelling projects for TD in collaboration with Communications staff
Online Recruitment & Community Engagement (25%)
- Support the roll out an online organizing and engagement strategy for TD
- Partner with TD and Communications staff to develop and implement peer-to-peer recruitment tactics to onramp individuals to online TD membership, activities, and communities
- Engage with followers, commenters and participants on our online platforms through 1:1/peer-to-peer outreach via direct message, FB chat, email, SMS, etc. to increase their understanding of and participation in TD
- Develop aligned and consistent engagement strategies across TD platforms, including follow-up, calls to action, etc in coordination with Communications, Organizing and Member Engagement staff
- Collaborate with Communications staff to leverage TD-related events to elevate the voices of people with past records, increasing awareness, attract new members and supporters, and advance our core narratives through digital media
- Monitor national and state landscapes for engagement opportunities; make decisions about leveraging advocacy opportunities in real-time in collaboration with key stakeholders
- Build and maintain relationships with other organization’s communications staff and key partners
- Provide coaching, technical assistance, and training to TD staff and members, assisting in use of social media, texting, online outreach, technology, and other software tools to advance organizing goals
- Collaborate with Communications staff to provide training and technical assistance to other organizations + partners
- Manage TD online data and tracking systems in collaboration with Communications staff
- Explore and remain up-to-date on the use of online/social media platforms and features for organizing
Experience & Qualifications
- 2+ years of professional experience in online community management, communications, digital advocacy, and/or online organizing
- 1-2 years marketing, content, and/or social media experience, with a solid understanding of engaging an audience and growing the member base of a program, product, or brand
- Strong project management experience and proficiency in social media platforms with a heavy emphasis on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Reddit
- Prior experience managing or working closely with contractors to maintain websites or online advocacy and list-building campaigns
- Experience working with diverse communities and a deep commitment to social and racial justice; familiarity with criminal justice issues preferred
- Strong experience creating and leading digital campaigns (online advocacy, social media, paid media, etc.) and managing communities online; including knowledge and skills to advise/consult with management to ensure effective delivery of the desired messaging to an audience and/or member base
- Ability to gather helpful insights from Facebook Insights, Google Analytics, and other analytics tools
- Ability to frame ideas and synthesize complex policy issues to inform, entertain and persuade a range of audiences
- Ability to translate complex ideas and policy issues into accessible and compelling digital content
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively and listen and learn from feedback
- Ability to thrive in a busy, multi-tasking, and time-pressured environment
- Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal communications, active listening and political acumen skills
- Experience with CRMs, social media management and digital advocacy tools such as BSD, Hootsuite, Buffer, Action Network, EveryAction, Salesforce, NGP, MobileCommons/Upland, Hustle, ControlShift, Dasheroo, WordPress, etc.
- Experience with WordPress and/or other website CMS
- Experience with sophisticated audience segmentation and targeting in political, non-profit, and/or corporate contexts
- Graphic design and/or video editing experience, including familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite
- Familiarity with Asana, Slack, FB Workplace and other project management and digital communication tools
Working Conditions & Physical Demands
- Option to remote telecommute.
- Occasional travel and/or weekend assignments may be required.
- Requires use of a desktop, laptop, or video display terminal.
- Ability to communicate, receive and understand information through oral and written communication and proofread and check documents for accuracy.
- Requires communicating information with co-workers, stakeholders and/or the public; reading correspondence, instructions and/or technical documents; writing correspondence and/or reports and filling in forms.
Compensation and Benefits
We care deeply about our staff wellness. ASJ offers a competitive benefits package including health/vision/dental insurance, flexible spending accounts, a robust 403(b) retirement match, generous paid sick, holiday and vacation leave, a professional development stipend, and more. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Applications should be submitted via the posting link on ASJ’s jobs page. Please submit a cover letter indicating your interest in ASJ, the role, and your related experience, your resume, and 3-4 professional references.
The Alliance for Safety and Justice is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from people who are systems impacted, women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions. Reasonable accommodations will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.