Location: Oakland, California, Bay Area, or New York City area preferred
Reports to: Digital Director
Start Date: ASAP – position open until filled
Position type: Full time
Founded in 2016, Alliance for Safety and Justice (ASJ), a project of the Tides Center, is a multi-state organization that aims to win new safety priorities in large incarceration states across the country. At a time of immense opportunity, ASJ partners with leaders and advocates to advance state criminal justice reform through policy advocacy, coalition building, research, education, and strategic communications. ASJ also brings together diverse crime survivors to advance policies that help communities most harmed by crime and violence. ASJ’s sister organization, Californians for Safety and Justice (CSJ), also a project of Tides Center, has been leading state advocacy efforts to replace over-incarceration in California with new safety priorities for the last six years. With a substantial California staff and a strong track record, CSJ operates as ASJ’s flagship state advocacy effort. Additionally, Alliance for Safety and Justice Action Fund, a project of Tides Advocacy, is the 501 (c)4 arm of both ASJ and CSJ.
At the directions of the Chief Communications Officer and Digital Director, and in close collaboration with a team of peer Managers, the Web & Data Manager oversees ASJ’s suite of WordPress-based website and database in support of the organization’s day-to-day operations and programmatic activities.
With support from an outsourced web design/development consultant as needed, the position will manage the look and content of the website, develop and maintain data management systems, and undertake related duties. The position serves as the primary staff liaison to technology-related contractors; manages membership, donor, and event registration activity through the website; and will provide staff leadership on design, implementation, and ongoing user support.
- Manage web projects from planning to execution, including development, editing and maintenance of websites, microsites, action forms and email template design/coding
- Work with internal stakeholders to prioritize web projects, set expectations, and understand the requirements and resources
- Train team members on the use of the WordPress content management system(s) (CMS) and Action Network, Salesforce or other customer relationship management (CRM) tools
- Update website content and corresponding widgets and plugins, including information, images, videos, graphics, etc. in support of organization
- Code front end for custom landing pages, organizational microsites, and external-facing reports
- Develop and execute usability testing plans
Manage freelancers and vendor partners, as assigned
- Design wireframes, mockups, and user interface elements
- Manage or support the management of the CRM, including data cleanup, running reports and ensuring the proper functions of the CRM and/or additional platforms
- Ensure ongoing compliance with industry web standards, including browser compatibility and ADA-recommended accessibility
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monitor and analyze website metrics and key performance indicators to test and refine products and features continually, and provide project status updates often
- Maintain quality control standards for all content published on the websites and other related assets
- Manage and troubleshoot web users’ issues, and assist staff with content editing and publication
- Identify areas on site to increase audience engagement and reach
- Manage DNS for digital platforms
- Troubleshoot bugs on website(s), CRM and Action Network systems
- Ensure the use of best practices across all properties
- Participation in the key organizational convenings that allow the work to be completed, such as staff meetings, staff retreats, weekly check-ins with the supervisor, team meetings, and other meetings as required by the supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 5+ years related experience in a web development, HTML and/or web & data management role
- Knowledge of Action Network, Salesforce, site flow principles, WordPress, UX/UI, immersive design, the command line, CSS pre-processors a plus
- A team player with the confidence to take the lead and guide other employees when necessary (ie: content development, creation and editing of content, and online reputation management)
- Maintains a working knowledge of principles of SEO and SEM best practices, including keyword research
- Possesses functional knowledge, the ability to troubleshoot and/or personal experience with WordPress
- Has worked with and/or maintained the health and security of a CRM/constituency database
- Non-profit experience, including execution of online advocacy, marketing and fundraising campaigns
- Experience developing custom WordPress plugins and customizing WordPress themes
- Familiarity with social media distribution strategies and constituent journeys/funnels
- Project management and excellent communication skills, including the ability to write project plans, engagement memos, and reports
- Knowledge of modern web analytics systems (e.g., Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager)
- Strong problem solving and ability to work independently
- Experience with A/B testing and user testing tools and methodologies
- Knowledge of racial and social justice issues
- Familiarity and comfort with rapid response and/or fast-paced environments
Must be able to sit at a computer for extended periods of time. Travel will be required.
Bay Area, California, New York, Washington D.C. or remote telecommute. Downtown office environment with open seating areas and individual offices. Standard work desks and furniture, fluorescent lighting. There is an elevator in the building. Located close to a train station. Work hours, dependent on deadlines, may sometimes include an occasional night or weekend assignments.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary will be commensurate with experience. The Tides Center offers a competitive benefits package including health/vision/dental insurance, retirement 403b match benefit, and paid sick, holiday, and vacation leave.
How to Apply:
Please submit your application through this link to our recruiter, Chaloner. A member of their team will reach out to you about the status of your application.
The Alliance for Safety and Justice, a project of Tides Center, is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical conditions. Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.