Terms and Conditions of Use of Alliance for Safety and Justice Website
These Terms and Conditions of Use (“Terms”) govern your (“You” and “Your”) access and use of the Alliance for Safety and Justice’s (“ASJ”) www.allianceforsafetyandjustice.org, safeandjust.org, cssj.org, timedone.org, and the other websites and applications, online services on or in which these Terms are linked or referenced (the “Site”). THIS IS A LEGAL BINDING AGREEMENT BETWEEN ASJ AND YOU, BOTH AS AN INDIVIDUAL END USER AND AS AN AGENT FOR ANY ENTITY THAT YOU ARE ACTING ON BEHALF OF WHEN ACCESSING THE SITE. YOU SHOULD CAREFULLY READ THE TERMS BECAUSE THEY GOVERN YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF THE SITE. YOUR USE OF THIS SITE INDICATES YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THESE TERMS. YOU AGREE TO USE THIS SITE AT YOUR OWN RISK. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS YOU MUST STOP USING THE SITE. These Terms are effective as of September 1, 2022.
1. General: The Site is intended for use by individuals and organizations wishing to learn about, or who are engaged in, ASJ’s activities, including but not limited to, its membership programs, research, campaigns, events, publications, or other activities engaged in furtherance of its mission.
2. Site Usage: You must be 13 years of age or older to visit or use the Site. If You are under the age of 18, You must use the Site under the supervision of a parent, legal guardian, or other responsible adult. You may use the Site only for lawful purposes and as intended by these Terms, which are solely interpreted by ASJ.
3. License to Use: Subject to your continued compliance with these Terms, ASJ grants You a revocable, limited, royalty-free, non-exclusive, non-transferable, and non-sublicensable license to access and use the Site solely for your personal purposes. You may download and print materials and information from the Site solely for your personal purposes, provided that all hard copies contain all copyright and other applicable notices contained in such materials. All rights not expressly granted under these Terms are reserved by ASJ. Accordingly, you may not use the Site in any manner that is not expressly and unambiguously authorized by the Terms. ASJ reserves the right to suspend or terminate the license described in this section of the Terms without reason or cause at any time, in its sole discretion.
a. transmit, post, distribute, store or destroy material, including without limitation, Site content (including publications, research, information, images, or other content on the Site) in violation of any applicable law, regulation, or agreement with ASJ;
b. violate or attempt to violate the security of the Site;
c. submit any content or material that is false or misleading;
d. share with a third party Your login credentials, if any, to the Site;
e. access data not intended for You or logging into a server or account which You are not authorized to access;
f. solicit passwords or personally identifiable information from other users;
g. engage in spamming;
h. take any action to compromise the security of the Site, including but not limited to, uploading or transmitting any form of virus, worm, Trojan horse or other malicious code;
i. use the Site for unlawful purposes or any illegal activity; or
j. use the Site for activity activities, or post or submit any content, that are defamatory, libelous, vulgar, obscene, threatening, abusive, hateful, racist, discriminatory, menacing, or that are likely to cause embarrassment, anxiety, or harassment to any person.
5. Site Accounts: If You register with the Site, You will be asked to create an account and provide ASJ with certain personal information. Any information You submit must be accurate and describe You and the organization on whose behalf you are creating such Profile, if any. You acknowledge and agree that You are responsible for and, if applicable, have the requisite authority to bind that organization. You acknowledge that You are responsible for the form, content, and accuracy of any information You provide to ASJ and the Site. You understand and acknowledge that You have no ownership rights in Your account and that if You cancel Your account or Your account is terminated, all Your account information may be deleted from ASJ’s Site.
7. Mobile Text Messaging: By subscribing to our mobile alerts, You consent to receive recurring automated text messages from ASJ about things such as opportunities to donate, to support our safety priorities, and to get involved with events, activities, and research projects. There is no fee charged by ASJ for text messages we send You. However, message and data rates may apply. Data obtained from You in connection with this SMS service may include Your mobile phone number, Your carrier’s name and the date, time and content of Your messages. We may use this information to contact You and provide information about ASJ’s programming and initiatives and to let You know of additional services or opportunities for engagement that may be of interest to You. This data is not shared with third parties except as necessary to provide the information, services, and opportunities for engagement to You. We are not liable for any delays in the receipt of any SMS message as delivery is subject to effective transmission from your mobile service provider. If You have any questions, text HELP to the number from which You receive the ASJ text messages or contact us at [email protected]. To stop receiving messages, text STOP.
8. Links to Other Sites: The Site provides links to other sites. These links may include links to websites operated for example, by individuals, government agencies, nonprofit organizations, or for-profit businesses. When You follow a link to any other website, You are subject to the website usage policy of that website and we encourage You to examine that policy. These links are provided solely as a convenience and not as an endorsement by ASJ of the contents on the linked websites. ASJ is not responsible for the content of the linked websites and does not make any representations regarding the content or accuracy of materials on those sites. If You decide to access linked web sites, You do so at Your own risk.
9. Intellectual Property: The information and materials ASJ provides on this Site may be protected by copyright, trademark, patent, or other intellectual property laws, and ASJ may have certain intellectual property rights in materials and information on the Site. Nothing on this Site shall be construed as consent to use any of these materials or information without ASJ’s written permission. If You would like to use ASJ’s materials or information for non-commercial purposes, such as a research project, please contact ASJ for permission by emailing [email protected].
10. User Content: The Site may contain certain features and interactive functionality that allow You to post or upload to the Site comments or other user generated content (“User Content”). You hereby agree that You will not upload, post, display, or transmit User Content that violates these Terms including, but not limited to submitting any User Consent that is a third party’s property protected by copyright, trademark, trade secret, rights of publicity or other proprietary right (“Third Party Rights”) without the prior express written permission of the third party. You are solely responsible for determining whether any User Content posted by You is subject to any Third Party Rights. You are solely liable for any damages or costs resulting from any User Content that actually or allegedly infringes any Third Party Rights. Any person determined by ASJ, in its sole discretion, to have violated any Third Party Rights may be barred from submitting or posting any further User Content. You further agree that the foregoing restrictions apply to any User Content that you post, submit, or upload to any social media platforms or other webpage directly accessible through the Site. Moreover, you hereby understand and agree that you are solely responsible for any liability arising from or related to any of Your User Content.
11. Rights in User Content: ASJ claims no ownership or control over any User Content. You or a third party licensor, as appropriate, retain all patent, trademark and copyright interest to any User Content You submit, post or display on or through the Site and You are responsible for protecting those rights, as appropriate. You grant ASJ a worldwide, non-exclusive, irrevocable, royalty-free license (with rights of sublicense and assignment) to use, reproduce, modify, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, transmit, perform, and display Your User Content. You also permit any user to access, display, view, store, and reproduce such User Content for personal use. ASJ reserves the right to refuse to accept, post, display or transmit any User Content in its sole discretion.
12. Copyright Complaints: ASJ will respond to claims of copyright and intellectual property infringement by taking action under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”) and other applicable intellectual property laws. ASJ may immediately remove any material or any reference or link to such material or activity claimed to be infringing. ASJ has designated the following agent under the DMCA:
Alliance for Safety and Justice
Attention: Paul Remy, Senior Director of Legal & Compliance
1624 Franklin Street, 11th Floor, Oakland, CA 94612
Notices should be sent both by mail and by email.
13. Indemnity: To the fullest extent permitted by law, You agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless ASJ and its current and former directors, officers, employees, volunteers, and agents (“ASJ Indemnities”) from and against any claims, actions, lawsuits, damages, judgments, liabilities, causes of action, settlements, expenses (including attorney’s fees and costs), or demands (“Claims”), arising out of or related to these Terms or Your use of the Site, including Claims for injury to property, injury or death to persons, and claims for infringement of intellectual property, that result from or arise out of Your or Your agent’s intentional or negligent conduct. You shall not be obligated to indemnify, defend, or hold harmless an ASJ Indemnity from Claims arising out of or related to an ASJ Indemnitee’s gross negligence or willful misconduct. This provision shall survive the termination or expiration of the Terms.
14. ASJ’s Reservation of Rights: You agree that ASJ reserves the right to terminate access by You and other users to the Site without prior notice, without cause, and without explanation. ASJ shall not be liable to You or any third party for any termination of Your access to the Site. ASJ reserves the right to delete Your account and all of Your Information after a significant duration of inactivity. ASJ may review and remove any User Content that, in its sole judgment, violates these Terms, violates applicable laws, rules or regulations, is abusive, disruptive, offensive or illegal, or violates the rights of, or harms or threatens the safety of users of the Site. ASJ shall be under no obligation to investigate potential violations and may terminate use without cause. ASJ reserves the right to expel users, prevent further Site access, or take any action with respect to User Content that it deems necessary or appropriate in its sole discretion if it believes that such User Content could create liability for ASJ, damage ASJ’s brand or public image, or for any other reason.
15. DISCLAIMER. THE SITE IS PROVIDED ON AN “AS-IS” BASIS AND MAY INCLUDE ERRORS, OMISSIONS, OR OTHER INACCURACIES. ASJ MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES ABOUT THE SITE FOR ANY PURPOSE, AND HEREBY EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT OR ANY OTHER IMPLIED WARRANTY. ASJ ALSO MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES THAT THE SITE WILL OPERATE ERROR-FREE, UNINTERRUPTED, VIRUS-FREE OR OTHER SECURITY OR DISABLING DEVICE FREE, OR IN A MANNER THAT WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS OR NEEDS. THEREFORE, YOU ASSUME THE ENTIRE RISK REGARDING THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE SITE.
16. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. To the fullest extent provided by law, ASJ shall not be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, incidental and consequential damages, lost profits, or damages resulting from lost data, lost employment opportunity, or business interruption) resulting from the use or inability to use the Site, whether based on warranty, contract, tort or any other legal theory. If You are dissatisfied with any portion of the Site or Your use of the Site, Your sole and exclusive remedy is to discontinue use of the Site.
17. Law and Jurisdiction: Any disputes relating to the use of the Site shall be governed by the laws of California, without respect to any conflicts of laws rules. You expressly and irrevocably consent to the sole and exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the state and federal courts of Oakland, California to resolve any dispute between You and ASJ relating to your use of the Site. Those who choose to access the Site from locations outside of the United States do so at their own risk and are responsible for compliance with the law of their jurisdiction.
18. Severability; No Waiver: If any provision of these Terms is found to be invalid by any court having competent jurisdiction, the invalidity of such provision shall not affect the validity of the remaining provisions of these Terms, which shall remain in full force and effect. No waiver of any term of these Terms shall be deemed a further or continuing waiver of such term or any other term.
19. Modifications: ASJ may in its sole discretion, add, modify, and delete any aspect, functionality, service, program or other feature of the Site. ASJ also has the right in its sole discretion to modify these Terms from time to time, or at least every thirty days. It is Your responsibility to review these Terms & Conditions periodically. Your continued use of this Site subsequent to our modification of these Terms shall constitute Your acceptance.